Caramelised Banana Oatmeal
Start off your day with this oatmeal to put a bounce in your step! The oats provide a nice release of slow-burning energy!
Getting going in the mornings can sure be tough and its easy to turn to stimulants like coffee to get moving along. But there are healthier ways to get your groove on. The Caramelised Oatmeal recipe delivers a mix of fast releasing sugars with complex carbohydrates and proteins to provide you with a smooth release of energy.
In addition to VIBE's benefits (see here for details), the macro-nutrient dense profile of oats, banana, peanut butter and almond milk in this recipe will help keep you alert throughout the day (or at least until lunch).
Take a look at some of the benefits of each ingredient:
|Oats||Packed with vitamins, minerals and antioxidants including aventhramides which may help lower blood pressure by increasing the production of nitric oxide|
|Chia Seeds||Nutrient dense high in fiber and omega 3 fatty acids – beneficial to maintaining optimal health|
|Peanut Butter||High in protein and healthy fats, useful for maintaining energy levels|
|VIBE||Adaptogenic herbs designed to help your body manage stress - The adaptogens used in VIBE have been shown to have energy and immunity boosting properties|
|Almond Milk||Lactose free low in calories high in vitamin E and Vegan makes almond milk a good base for smoothies and cereal bowls|
|Maple Syrup||Delicious sweetener that carries with it small amounts of minerals and antioxidants|
|Almonds/Walnuts||High in antioxidants and magnesium as well as vitamin E, helps to maintain healthy blood pressure|
|Cinnamon||High in antioxidants and may provide neuro-protective benefits as well as anti-microbial effects witch may support the immune system fight off disease|
- 1/3 cup oats
- 2 Tbs chia seeds
- 1 cup water
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp of VIBE
- 1/4 tsp vanilla extract
- pinch of salt
- 2 Tbs peanut butter
- 3 Tbs milk
- 1 Tbs maple syrup
- Handful of chopped walnuts or sliced almonds
- 1/2 Tbs butter
- 1 tsp brown sugar
- 1 banana
- Boil water in a large saucepan, and add oats and chia seeds. Reduce to a simmar for about 5 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Remove saucepan from the heat and stir in cinnamon, vanilla, salt, VIBE, peanut butter, milk and maple syrup.
- In a frying pan on medium heat, melt butter and brown sugar. Add the banana and cook for a couple of minutes on each side until browned.
- Pour oatmeal mixture into a bowl and add milk, (if desired) walnuts/ almonds, and caramelised banana.
Let us know your thoughts in the comments below!